Field watches – those lovable gears made specifically to be taken on outdoor expeditions. Just like dive watches are to water related sports, and a pilot’s watch (GMT) is to have other time zones included, the field watch is built to be taken into the field – yes, many watches can be taken along when going for an outdoor/field expedition but those are not built for the task.
Let’s talk about what makes a field watch. As stated above, field watches are built with the field in mind. They come with rugged designs and very legible markings.
The Top 10 Best Field Watch
Now we’ve talked about what to expect or what makes a field watch rated as the best or one of the best available, let’s take some time to see some of the best field watch available which certify all the above stated criteria.
Nature lovers would love this field watch. Dubbed “Eco-Drive” this Citizen field watch charges on its own via indoor light or when in contact with natural sunlight. The watch is a sturdy piece built with stainless steel and a round watch face (dial). Readability is assured with numerals, grey markers and a red contrasting second hand (hands are luminous too).
The watch also boasts water resistance functionalities with ATM rating of 10 allowing it submersion up to 330 feet or 100 meters thus suitable to wear when swimming or snorkeling. The watch band is an impressive rugged green canvas which holds its own. The time telling of the Citizen Eco-Drive men’s watch is apt with Japanese Quartz movement. The clasp of the watch is a well built buckle. This Citizen Eco-Drive stainless steel watch weighs about 15 ounces which is pretty heavy for folks looking for a moderate weight watch. There’s a chronograph function.
- The watch has a simple look which is noticeable on all field watches
- Time telling has never been easier on the eyes, as the dials are clear and illuminate at night for a clear and easy read no matter the time of the day.
- It’s also water resistant and can be used for water activities if need be (swimming and snorkeling are the recommended limit)
- It’s eco-friendly. It doesn’t make use of a replaceable battery. Just keep under direct sunlight or other light sources to charge.
- High quality stainless steel watch face
- It has very sturdy green canvas strap
- It has a date section for keeping a tab on your schedules.
- It is water resistant up to 330 feet or 100 meters
- The watch comes with a chronograph function.
- The stainless steel watch face is easy to scratch especially if you are wearing it while doing heavy tasks.
- The watch hands tend to block the chronograph scale for most of the day (a noticeable problem with most chronograph watches).
- The watch packs weight, with its over 15.8 ounce weight you might find it discomforting if you don’t like heavy field watches
This made in Japan watch is one heck of a field watch. Asides being compact (which is a good thing for a field watch); the watch face features numerals and handles which makes time telling easy. The watch offers a comfortable wear and uses the Japanese automatic against the quartz movement. The watch tells day and date so you don’t forget what day and date of the year you are in. This Seiko automatic watch offers analog display and has its dial window made of Hardlex material. The case material is made of stainless steel while the band is made of a durable canvas material. It weighs about 2.8 ounces too which is both lightweight and comfortable.
It has a sturdy canvas belt and stainless steel watch face. It’s lightweight but still sports that premium feel – and weighty feeling that lets you know you went for quality. In ultra darkness, you’ll love this Seiko automatic watch due to the luminescence which makes it very readable and an impressive sight to behold. Another impressive feature is the water-resistance nature of the watch with 10 ATM rating; it can withstand submerging up to 100 meters or 330 feet which is great if you are a water lover.
- Made in Japan with high quality materials
- It features a simple yet pleasant look.
- It has very legible numerals which can be seen at all times of the day.
- The luminescence quality of the Seiko automatic watch is just perfect, with a nice night time look.
- The watch comes in an original Seiko box with a manual included, perfect for use as gift.
- It has a premium weight feel for folks who prefer to have a modest looking watch with a reasonably premium feel.
- It’s comfortable to wear and one size fits all.
- The watch is very versatile and can be used for several other functions, also the straps can be changed with more fitting straps if you feel the need
- Water resistance with an ATM rating of 10, you should get a good swim out of it.
- It’s a bit pricey if you have a tight budget.
Bertucci has been associated with high quality watches for over 10 years now. Based in the USA, this watch brand have carved a name as a reliable watch maker. Its titanium field watch is proof that quality exists in decently priced gears. This Bertucci classic field watch boasts a solid titanium case with sand blasted matte finish that’s lightweight, stylish and durable.
The watch makers use their own patented two ply nylon band which gives the watch a more refined look, while the wearer a comfortable feel. The mineral glass of the watch is scratch proof/resistant and hardened for withstanding several years of usage. The watch like the other two above is water resistant as well with an ATM rating of 10, capable of withstanding over 100 meters or 330 feet submersion, thus suitable for swimming and snorkeling. The Bertucci classic titanium field watch doesn’t weigh a ton (it weighs about 1.9 ounce) but offers the wearer a premium feel and a classy look. You are also assured of superb quality of the watch as it is made in the USA and have been certified by various regulatory bodies.
- This Bertucci Titanium field watch is built to last and is very lightweight, weighing about 1.92 ounce
- Ergonomic design for a comfortable wear
- It’s made of very strong materials, a high quality titanium case and a mineral dial window that’s hardened and scratch resistant
- Uses the Japanese quartz movement
- It’s a lightweight watch that’s great for everyday use.
- It offers very strong water resistance with an ATM rating of 10. It can be worn in water while swimming or snorkeling.
- The band is a patented band by the company itself and made of ply nylon.
- Watch is very legible and can be seen at all times of the day.
- The watch band stays permanent as there are no pins used for the strap
- The watch is made in the USA by a startup with over 10 years of experience.
- There’s possibility of the watch strap edges arriving a little rough and thus would require priming or use of sandpaper which is a pretty stressful task for a new watch.
Swiss Army Victorinox 24973 Ladies Field Collection Women’s Watch All Stainless Steel Date Mother Day Watch
This Swiss Army ladies field watch is a solid looker and a well built stainless steel clad watch. It comes fully waterproof (water resistant) up to 100 feet or 330 meters with an ATM rating of 10, thus making it not just a capable field watch but a great waterproof watch too if you like taking on water related sports like swimming and/or snorkeling.
The Swiss army field watch comes with luminous hands and a solid mineral window. The watch face is easy to read with legible and clear numbers which can be easily seen. It displays both date and time and uses the analog display. The watch has a band made of adjustable sleek silver tone steel with matte and mirror finish. The watch uses Swiss army made Swiss movement. The Swiss Army Victorinox ladies field watch weighs about 4 ounces making it a very comfortable watch for everyday use.
- It comes with very solid stainless steel band
- It has luminous watch hands which make time telling in poorly lit environment easy on the eyes
- It has a solid build with a weighty feeling.
- The watch has a bold white face and very legible numbers which are easy to read
- It weighs about 4 ounces making it very comfortable for everyday use.
- Made by a highly renowned accessory maker Swiss army, and comes with a 2 year warranty
- The watch is water proof to a good distance of 100 meters or 330 feet (has an atmosphere rating of 10).
- It can be used for water sports like swimming, snorkeling due to its water resistance abilities.
- It’s an attractive watch which is sure to send you compliments, made with the sleekest looking stainless steel.
- This Swiss Army watch would make a perfect gift item as it also comes in an original box. Looking for an anniversary gift or a birthday gift for her? Here’s your item.
- The watch band comes in just one size and may not fit every wrist
The Hamilton H70505933 Khaki field analog display watch is for the classy man. The watch is pricey but that’s what you get with a 42mm x 11mm solid stainless case. It has a fixed bezel and a push-pull textured crown. It uses Swiss made H-30 automatic movement. The dial window is made of a scratch resistant sapphire crystal.
The watch has very legible and luminous hands that are easy to see at all times of the day and a textured black dial alongside pink accents. There are day and date display functions also. Interestingly, this Khaki field analog display watch by Hamilton is also water resistant to a depth of 50 meters or 165 feet. The watch band is made of solid stainless steel bracelet that utilizes a fold over w/ push button clasp. The watch brings with it an original Hamilton packaging perfect for a gift to deserving friend, partner or lover. Interested in picking up a watch that has a quality rating? Then this Hamilton khaki field watch is for you, as it tags along with a 2 year guaranty period for each purchase.
- Tells very accurate time with the Swiss Automatic movement it uses
- Very stylish and aesthetically gorgeous wristwatch
- Premium build with scratch resistant, anti-reflective sapphire dial window
- Tells time, day and date
- The Hamilton Khaki field watch for men also offers water resistance properties to users with its ATM rating of 5 – it offers waterproof to a good depth of 50 meters or 165 feet.
- Very legible dials which can be seen at all times of the day
- Long lasting watch which is sturdily built and assured to last several years with a 2 year warranty period
- The watch hands are luminous and can be read even the middle of the night
- Comes in a great looking original Hamilton box which would make a perfect gift box
- Has solid band made of stainless steel with an effective fold over clasp
- It’s a premium looking watch with a weighted feel to it.
- It has dial window which is made of scratch resistant sapphire crystal.
- The watch clasp has a safety mechanism (double push safety) so you don’t accidentally open it.
- It’s pretty high priced, and not for everyone looking for a field watch
The Luminox EVO Navy SEAL color match men’s watch is a great field watch which was built to stand the test of time. It also sports the usual round face most watches come with. It’s made to glow better and brighter than other luminous watches by up to 100 times, thus perfect for both low light and no light areas. The watch case is made of polyurethane measuring 43.9 mm while the watch band is also made of polyurethane with a sturdy buckle clasp.
The watch dial is protected by a mineral window while the numerals are very visible (white contrast) Arabic styled. There’s also a date bar at the 3 o’clock point to keep you updated. The watch is analog and uses Swiss army quartz movement for accurate time telling. It’s also water resistant with an ATM rating of 20, offering submersion depth of up to 660 feet or 200 meters. The watch weighs about 12.80 ounces which is a fair weight and offering a premium feel.
- The Luminox EVO Navy seal color match watch has a visibly appealing appearance.
- The watch is very sturdily built, made with premium high quality materials, you can expect it to last you several years with proper watch maintenance.
- Water resistant up to 200 meters or 660 feet which is a plus for water lovers seeking to dive or swim or snorkel.
- Very legible hands which are luminous and can be seen in thick darkness
- It tells time and date accurately without need to adjust at intervals. It also makes use of Swiss quartz movement
- The entire watch (from the case to the band) is made of a strong polyurethane material (a synthetic material that has very tough properties).
- The watch feels heavy a bit which indicates a sturdy build.
- Comes with an impressive looking original Luminox box which makes for a great gift
- The EVO Navy seal watch weighs about 12.80 ounces.
- Poor control seems to be somewhat of a problem.
Casio have been producing high quality time piece for over four (4) decades. This Men’s 200M Duro analog watch is a typical example of the high quality products shelled out by the company. This Casio Men’s watch has a round watch face with a well protected dial window. For those looking for a sturdy, well built water resistant watch, this Casio Duro analog watch is water resistant to a depth of 200 meters or 660 feet thus a perfect accessory if you plan on diving, swimming or snorkeling and don’t want to take off your watch.
The watch also has very bold and legible dials with luminous hands and a mineral glass to protect the watch. The bands of the watch are made of resin and a screw-down crown/screw-lock back is used to hold it in place. There’s a date portion also to keep you up to date, and a seconds hand for accurate time telling. The watch uses the standard Japanese quartz movement for ‘to the second’ accuracy. It weighs just about 2.8 ounces so it’s quite lightweight but with a premium feel.
- It’s a relatively cheap and affordable field watch for everyone looking for an accurate yet budget friendly field watch with legible dials.
- It’s manufactured by Casio which have several decades of experience producing quality time piece.
- The watch tells up to the second time and doesn’t require adjustment, thanks in part to the Japanese quartz movement.
- The resin band is built to stay on for several years without breaking.
- The watch weighs about 2.8 ounces which makes it very lightweight.
- It’s also offers a very comfortable wear.
- The overall look and feel of this men’s watch speaks premium and exotic.
- It’s also water resistant to a depth of 200meters or 660 feet, making it the perfect fit for water lovers looking for a versatile watch to take on both field and water exercises.
- This Casio men’s watch utilizes some of the best quality materials, and thus has a great quality build.
- The Casio men watch band can be easily interchanged if you feel the need to have different watch bands.
- As would be expected quality control could be an issue.
The Wenger Men’s analog display Swiss watch is a very unique time piece. Made by a reputable firm which have been making watches for several years now, this 0541 analog Swiss quartz watch takes a round shape and makes use of stainless steel case material. This is an analogue watch and tells time using the Swiss quartz movement. This Wenger made watch has it’s dial protected by a sapphire crystal and is water resistant to a good depth of 330 feet or 100 meters with an ATM rating of 10, making it great for use in participating in water borne activities and sports.
The watch packs a weight of about 8 ounces, with its bezel material made of ceramic while the case material stainless steel. Also comes with a very solid 100% genuine leather band which you can interchange if you are not big on wearing leather bands. It has a broad face and very clear dials, a date function is present as well and the watch comes in a gift pack which would make a perfect anniversary gift to him.
- This watch is made by a reputable watch maker with several years experience
- The watch is analog display with Swiss quartz movement.
- The dials are very legible and can be seen easily.
- It’s also water resistant to a good depth of 330 feet or 100 meters with an ATM rating of 10.
- The Wenger men’s watch has a date calendar too.
- It has a weighty feeling and premium feel
- The window material is made of synthetic sapphire which is one heck of a scratch resistant cover for the watch face.
- The numerals and the watch hands are luminescence and can be clearly seen in pitch darkness.
- It comes with a perfect gift pack if you are seeking an ideal gift for him.
- A bit expensive but then it has sapphire crystal window, so it’s worth it.
The Timex women’s expedition field watch is one to consider if you’d like to own a nice leather strap field watch at a budget. Made by Timex; a USA company which has made a name for themselves in sleek looking watches and time piece. The watch utilizes the quartz movement to tell time. There’s the solid mineral dial window adorning on watch face while brass watch case is used. The watch numbers are very legible and dark with white ball point watch hands.
The watch case is made of brass while the bezel material is stainless steel and a sturdy calfskin (genuine leather) strap with strong buckle. The watch has a simple yet elegant look and features indiglo tech to illuminate the watch dial at night. It’s also waterproof to a good 165 feet or 50 meters (5ATM rating). Impressively, the Timex women’s expedition watch is very lightweight weighing just about 2.5 ounces. It compliments every woman perfectly with its small frame and perfect look.
- Uses the indiglo light technology which allows it to light up and be seen even in pitch darkness
- The watch is very budget friendly and won’t leave a hole in your pocket after purchase.
- Performs relatively well, and offers a comfortable wear.
- It’s very lightweight, weighing just about 2.5 ounces.
- It has a solid build with a good shape.
- The band is made of original calfskin which is genuine leather and looks great (dark chocolaty color)
- It’s water resistant to a good depth of 165 feet or 50 meters.
- The buckle is sturdy and holds its own quite well.
- It has a simple yet classy look perfect for women.
- It tends to lose time occasionally.
This Wenger field watch for men is a nice looking time piece. This men’s military chronograph watch has a round shape and has its dial window of synthetic sapphire. There are a lot of high quality materials included in the design structure of the watch including the watch strap which is made of a patent leather band, the very sturdy buckle and the watch case which is made of solid stainless steel material. Overall the watch is a great piece and offers water resistance to 100m or 330 feet which is perfect for getting the most out of your watch while engaging in water sports or activities. It utilizes the Swiss quartz movement. It’s somewhat lightweight weighing just about 8 ounces and offering a comfortable and premium look.
- It’s a beautiful time piece and is sure to earn you series of compliments
- It comes with a scratch resistant synthetic sapphire case window which can take a beating.
- This Wenger Swiss field watch keeps accurate time.
- The watch is made of high quality materials like a stainless steel case, sapphire window and a patent leather band.
- Comes with an original Wenger packaging which would make it a good gift item
- The watch is also water resistant to up to 100 meters or 330 feet.
- It has a date tracker and a chronograph (stop watch).
- The watch face is a bit difficult to read in low light.
- The operating instruction manual isn’t very updated so you need to do a little tinkering yourself to know just how to operate it.
So, what is the best field watch?
For a field watch to be termed as the best field watch, it should possess several qualities, some of which are stated below;
- Legible and readable: Field watches are not designer watches or your sports or dive watches. It’s mandatory that their dials are very high contrast (like black) while their numbering are of an opposing color like white. They are expected to be very legible and readable no matter the lightening condition (night use or low light visibility) you find yourself in.
- Rugged design: Field watches are used for tasking activities and even military workouts and thus they are expected to be able to take a beating. This is why a good field watch should have a sturdy build with quality, high-end material. Many field watches come with either stainless steel or titanium casing or PVD coating depending on the manufacturer’s preference.
- Great Band: The band of a wrist watch is one of the most important properties of that wristwatch and as such, a high quality field watch should posses a very well built band. Many field watches don’t come with metallic band even though these bracelets are usually sturdy due to one reason. They tend to scratch easily and thus would require replacement. Replacing them however doesn’t come cheap most times.
For all field watch lovers, our field watch reviews comprises the best field watches available in the market. If you are looking for legible, rugged watches that can take a beating and also be worn in water then this list has it all. You are assured of premium products with varying prices based on your budget and ultimately your preference. If you are looking for watches that scratch resistant or luminous, then you have come to the right place. This list has some of the best field watches here, so feel free to make your choice.