Emergencies situations are prone to happen at any given time, power cuts, flash flood and even natural disasters can affect lightening and while this might seem insignificant, it can mean the bridge between staying alive or falling for the worst.
Emergency situations call for emergency measures and emergency flashlights are built to cater for desperate times, it doesn’t matter what is happening an emergency flashlight can save the day!
The Top 5 Best Emergency Flashlight Reviews
Here are our top picks:
IRonsnow IS-088 Dynamo Emergency Solar Hand Crank Self Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio, LED Flashlight, Smart Phone Charger Power Bank
This iRonsnow dynamo emergency solar hand crank LED flashlight is multifunctional and can be an asset in time of an emergency. This flashlight can be charged either by using the hand crank or electricity using the micro USB port or via solar. It packs a radio (with NOAA weather channel), an LED flashlight which can go very bright and a power bank for charging Smartphone.
The flashlight with all its features is pretty lightweight and easy to carry around. If you choose to use the hand crank, you get about 30 minutes of torch light, 5 minutes of radio play time and 5 minutes of cell phone charge up (talk time) with just a minute of hand-cranking this emergency kit.
Key Features and Pros
- It is made of a sturdy plastic material which is very lightweight and built to last.
- The device features three different ways to charge – either through Solar, or by plugging to wall socket (electricity) or by hand cranking giving users a multiple choice of operation.
- It’s easy to operate.
- It’s very versatile and can be used for different occasions.
- The torch brightness level is very high and the bulbs are LED.
- Can be used to charge phones, i.e. comes with an inbuilt power bank
- Has an internal radio which can be used as an emergency radio and has the weather channel (NOAA)
- It comes with a wrist lanyard.
- It has a nice look to it.
- This emergency flashlight although comes with a power bank functionality, cannot be trusted as a professional solar power bank.
MECO Hand Cranking Solar Powered Rechargeable Flashlight Emergency LED Flashlight Carabiner Dynamo w/ Quick Snap Clip Backpack Flashlight Torch Weather Ready
This army green colored emergency flashlight is a worthy mention on the list due to its high conversion efficiency that sees a six (6) minute hand cranking produce steady light for about an hour thus making you set for any emergency operation.
The flashlight has a built-in battery and does not require any other external battery for use. It’s also good at retaining energy. The material build is a hard plastic which is both sturdy and built to last. The Meco hand cranking emergency flashlight uses LED bulbs which are ultra bright. This emergency flashlight also features a carabiner clip which would come in handy if you plan taking the flashlight on outdoor trips hiking, camping or climbing as it can be fitted to your backpack or a harness.
Key Features and Pros
- The Meco emergency flashlight has an appealing army green color which is also great for camouflage.
- The flashlight makes use of LED bulbs which produce ultra bright lights.
- This is a two-way rechargeable emergency flashlight, either charge by hand cranking or by solar.
- The hand cranking mechanism produces more power and has high conversion efficiency, producing an hour’s flashlight use with just six (6) minutes of cranking.
- The flashlight is encased in a solid plastic body that’s sturdily made.
- The Meco emergency flashlight has a carabiner clip for attaching to backpacks and belt hooks so you can go with it anywhere
- It’s also very affordable
- The carabiner clip once attached is very difficult to get off, especially on belt loops.
Horizons Tec HT-747 Emergency Flashlight with NOAA Weather Radio, Mobile Cell Phone Charger & Led Flashlight and Paracord Survival Kit
Horizons Tec HT-747 emergency flashlight is one that stands out from the rest. This all in one emergency flashlight tags along with several other emergency bundles. The flashlight body is made of very strong plastic that’s sure to withstand a beating. This emergency flashlight comes with 3 LED bulbs that shines brightly and can illuminate an area pretty well. Asides that, the flashlight comes with a multi-band turner (radio) with NOAA/AM/FM alerts which should keep you up to date about disaster alerts and weather news in your area. The radio also has a wide receiver range so you are not left out of your favorite radio stations. The hand cranking mechanism retains power much longer and one (1) minute of hand cranking should provide about 20 minutes of either flashlight or radio use. There’s a paracord bracelet included which is armed to the teeth with emergency items including a fire starter, a whistle and an 11-ft rope once unbraided. The flashlight can be used as an emergency power source to charge mobile phones, and comes with three (3) charging options – hand crank, USB charge, or solar charge.
Key features and Pros
- It’s made of hard, sturdy, well built plastic.
- This emergency flashlight can be charged by three (3) different ways. Either by hand cranking or through a USB/electric power source or solar
- The flashlight uses LED bulbs which shine brightly
- It comes with several emergency gears on an added paracord bracelet including a fire starter, a compass, a whistle and an 11-feet rope (the paracord when unbraided)
- The flashlight has a radio with a NOAA channel to keep you updated on natural disasters prone areas.
- Its hand cranking mechanism produces more power and has high conversion efficiency, producing 20 minutes of either flashlight or radio use with just six (1) minute of cranking.
- A little pricey for a flashlight but well worth it considering the added perks.
LuxPower Tactical V1000 LED Flashlight [2 PACK] – Best High Lumen CREE Handheld Light – Portable, Zoomable, Water & Shock Resistant
This LuxPower tactical emergency flashlight serves both as a weapon and portable handheld flashlight. The body of the flashlight is made of high-grade aluminum. The flashlight itself is water, impact, and weather resistant and has 5 light modes (low, medium, high, flash and SOS). It uses ultra-bright long lasting LED bulbs and makes use of rechargeable batteries to power it up. The flashlight allows for zooming to focus on a particular area, i.e. going from wide angle to a focused light beam. It also makes use of a smart power management for ensure utmost utilization and long hours of service.
This tactical emergency flashlight features and anti-roll body design and a strong front strike bezel which should come in handy in time of self defense or emergency requiring breaking glass windows or door handles.
Key Features and Pros
- The LuxPower tactical flashlight is made of a high-grade, sturdy and durable aluminum material that’s built to last.
- Its water, impact and weather resistant.
- It has a front strike area for when you need to protect yourself or when you need to shatter glass in times of emergencies.
- It has five (5) light modes – low, medium, high, flash and even SOS modes.
- The light bulb are ultra-bright LED bulbs
- It light can be zoomed to focus on a particular point/area
- It utilizes smart power management offering long hours of usage.
- It’s affordable
- It makes use of batteries which can be expensive to replace.
This emergency flashlight doubles as a self defense weapon and has five (5) lightening settings including low, medium, high, blinking and SOS. It’s also equipped with several self defense perks like an alarm, a portable knife which doubles as a seatbelt cutter, and solid metal edges for taking out criminals. This flashlight makes use of ultra bright LED bulbs which produce up to 1000 lumens which can temporarily stun an attacker or animal.
Key Features and Pros
- It has a siren button tagged ‘police’ for when you need to raise an alarm.
- Very bright light (1000 lumen) capable of temporarily blinding or stunning an attacker.
- Features prongs on the head able to do serious damage if the need arises.
- It’s water resistant to a degree
- It comes with a rechargeable 4500mah battery
- Features a miniature seatbelt cutter for when the need arises.
- Although water resistant, it can’t withstand underwater use.
So what is the best emergency flashlight?
Before selecting an emergency flashlight, certain considerations are checked to ascertain the trust rating of the flashlight and if it would serve well in time of an emergency. Some of these factors include;
- The IPX rating (weatherproofing): A good emergency flashlight should be able to withstand most weather conditions from cold to hot weather and of course natural elements like water, ice and even mud which can cluster around in times of natural disasters. The weatherproofing rating of flashlights (IPX rating) is between 1 to 8 with IPX-4 being the basic water resistant capabilities of any flashlight while higher rating of 7 and 8 (IPX-7 and IPX-8) would mean a more rugged flashlight which is both useful for emergencies as well as for survival purposes. These flashlights can be fully submerged in water without issues.
- The Bulb type: Emergency flashlights need to have bright, clear bulbs and LED bulbs offer these and more on a platter. LED bulbs are some of the best bulbs because they are a lot sharper, providing a crisp, clear light which shines brighter than the traditional incandescent bulbs. They are also a lot more durable and energy efficient. Their brightness can be used to advantage when in a compromising position like when under attack.
- The size and weight of the flashlight: The size and/or of the emergency flashlight is also an important decision you should consider prior to purchasing an emergency flashlight. If you are going to be having the flashlight in a bug out bag and don’t plan to keep it heavy, then you might want to consider just how bulky that flashlight should be. There are very many flashlights with varying weights and sizes, some can fit properly in key chains and come very lightweight and compact whereas a few others take up serious space and weight (mostly those that double as survival weapons – clubs precisely). If you are a collector of survival gears for emergency purposes, the later might be your choice, if however you like your gears simple and lightweight, then the former is recommended. It all boils down to what you plan to use the flashlight for and where.
- The material build: What material is the emergency flashlight made of? This is an important factor you should consider before selecting any emergency flashlight. Flashlights are usually made of two main materials – metal or plastic. If you are going for a survival styled ‘self-defense’ emergency flashlight, then a metallic material such as anodized aluminum would be a good choice. However, if you care less about self-defense and more about the build and functioning of the flashlight, you might want to check out the plastic options as they are built sturdy too and can withstand quite a lot of conditions. Unlike metal which conducts electricity, heat, and cold easily, plastics can take these conditions quite well. Plastics also make for a lighter carry something you can’t say about metals.
- The flashlight brightness: An emergency flashlight should always be able to shine bright when you need it most, so the brighter the better.
Emergency flashlights these days are more than just flashlights. They can be the reason why you are still alive as many come with other emergency tools like radios, sirens, and self-defense attack points among others. Our emergency flashlight reviews should help guide you on some of the best emergency flashlight on market and how they can come in handy when you need them.